Another year older and hopefully another year wiser. I recently celebrated my 34th birthday in Moldova this month. This being my 3rd time to celebrate while living in Moldova. This year I kept it low-key and more to myself. However, it certainly exceeded my expectations.
I had been hoping to get away the weekend before my birthday and had the opportunity to take an overnight trip to a nearby city in Romania right over the border. It worked out amazingly well to meet up with some friends who were already there. We got to see the holiday lights and Christmas market in the center along with the recently renovated Palace and of course the popular large shopping mall that is one of the better shopping malls I have been to.
On my actual birthday, I was celebrated well by my work colleagues and dear friends. I made cupcakes for my office, of course complete with sprinkles. Started the day with sprinkles and ended the day with bubbles (champagne toast for all).
And ate a lot of cake! My office brought in 2 cakes and then later in the evening there was more cake too! It was most certainly a sweet day!
Since my birthday fell on a Tuesday, I had celebrated in the evening with a group of friends and people that I typically see on a weekly basis for English Conversation at a local friends’ restaurant/bar. It was fun to celebrate with such an international crew.
It was a great day and I felt well celebrated leading up to and even afterward by so many near and far. I also took some time to reflect a bit in order to answer the annual “birthday questions”…
- What are some of your highlights from this past year?
- What are you looking forward to this year?
In honor of turning 34, I picked 4 highlights from this past year:
- Going home for home leave in August
- Traveling to San Francisco for the Technovation Master Educator program training
- Extending my Peace Corps service for a 3rd year
- Traveling to Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Nice, Rome, Prague, and Istanbul with various friends
As for what I am looking forward to in the year ahead:
- Traveling more!
- Determining next steps that answer the ever so popular question: “what are you doing after Peace Corps?”
- Seeing the projects I’m working on in Moldova continue to develop and hopefully flourish
- Continue to develop deep friendships with new and old friends near and far
Cheers to another year ahead! I’m hopeful for new adventures, much laughter, an abundance of love, and to see more bright colorful sunrises & sunsets. xoxo