I recently was nominated for the Liebster Award by another blogger. And I found myself asking “What is a Liebster Award?” I have to admit, I had to look it up. But now I have a better understanding of this award and discovered that I am a newbie to blogging and should apparently get out more often in regards to such things. Meh, oh well.
Thanks to Abi from Random Joys for introducing me to the Liebster Award and for the nomination. I’m a big fan of joy, especially of the random kind! I look forward to getting to know Abi more through following her blog. Plus, I like question-games (like my favorite game, Loaded Questions) and this is kinda-sorta like that. I think.
First, here the rules of the award. There are just 4 simple rules to follow.
One – Thank the nominator
Two – Display award in post
Three – Nominate 10 other bloggers
Four – Answer the 10 questions
Here are the answers to the 10 questions I received from Random Joys. Keep in mind I am answering them from my current point of life right now as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Moldova.
1. What’s your favorite thing to do on a weekend?
Lately my most favorite thing to do on a weekend is to go to the village with my host family where they have a large village house surrounded by gardens, fruit trees, honey bees, and sunflowers. I have enjoyed trying to help them collect the fruit from the trees, helping them cook in the make-shift kitchen area (it’s kinda like camping), and take some time out to read, reflect, journal, and write. I embrace the ‘no-internet’ environment it provides – a safe haven of being able to catch my breath for a few days.
2. If you could choose a superpower, what would it be?
If I could choose a superpower, I would definitely choose to be able to speak any and all languages with fluency! With this super power I could communicate with anyone around the world. Let’s go do some traveling together now, yes?
3. What’s your favorite dessert?
Anything with the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Chocolate peanut butter melt-away cake, chocolate peanut butter cheese cake, chocolate peanut butter ice cream, a local favorite – Gardner’s Candies Peanut Butter melt-away bars… and the list could go on. You get the idea.
4. What kind of music do you like listening to?
I like a random mix of music — from pop/top 40 hits music; folk-indie type music; instrumental-easy-relaxing music; and listening to orchestras and jazz bands live.
5. If you had to eat food from just one cuisine all your life, what cuisine would it be?
Mediterranean food! I don’t know if that’s a thing or not, but I’d be happy with all foods from the Mediterranean region – a mix of Greek, Italian, French, Spanish… yum.
6. What do you enjoy most about blogging?
I enjoy most that it helps me document all of these memories and moments, especially as a Peace Corps volunteer. It also oftentimes helps me process what’s going on in my life and it also gives me a creative space to share some of my photographs.
7. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was little I remember how much I wanted to be a babysitter. I loved working with kids, and I still do today. I spent a lot of time at a sitters house and was usually trying to gather the rest of the kids together for games or activities to keep us all busy.
8. Any travel plans in the near future?
Yes, I hope to do some traveling in and around the Mediterranean Sea when my mom and brother come to visit in the fall. I. cannot. wait. Eeek!
9. What’s your favorite restaurant?
I really miss Home Delivery Pizza Pub from State College, PA. It’s the one restaurant I wish I could visit, so I guess I could say it’s my favorite. There are some good memories that are attached to that place and I have been craving my favorite pizza, BBQ Chicken for quite some time now.
10. If you had to play the role of one movie character, who would you pick?
Julia Roberts is one of my favorite actresses and I’m having a hard time picking a movie character and I seem to keep going back to some of the movies she’s played in. So instead I’ll bend the rules a little bit and pick an actress… Julia Roberts. 😉
As for the blogs I nominate for the Liebster award… I went through my blog reading list of Peace Corps Volunteer blogs that I have enjoyed following. Some of these are from my fellow Peace Corps Moldova volunteers and some volunteers are serving in different countries. I find it so fascinating that all Peace Corps volunteers have vast and varying experiences whether we may be 3 km apart or 3,000 km apart.
Here are my 10 questions for these PCV nominees…
1. How many different countries have you traveled to and where?
2. What food item do you miss the most?
3. Favorite book (or article) you have read so far since being a PCV?
4. Favorite item you are glad you brought with you?
5. What is your favorite thing about the country you serve in?
6. If you could choose between hot summers and cold winters, which would you choose?
7. Favorite food from your country of service?
8. From your experience, where is best place to travel to?
9. If you could choose between the public transportation in your country of service or walking, which do you prefer?
10. If you could describe your Peace Corps service in one word, what would it be?