It’s hard to believe that a year ago today I submitted my Peace Corps application. So much has happened this past year since then and as I look back and reflect on this whole process I have been amazed at how things have seemed to come together.
I have learned that each application process is different for each person. Here’s just a quick glimpse of what my timeline was like over this past year…
- May 16, 2013 – submitted Peace Corps application (and then my computer died that night -ha)
- May 29, 2013 – had an interview with the local Peace Corps recruiter at PSU just days before her last day on the job (plus I even knew her since she is the sister of one of my close friends – fun)
- May 31 – Received Peace Corps nomination (which means I could continue along with the process)
- June 12 – I submitted all my legal and medical paperwork
- November 7 – my paperwork was finally assigned a nurse to go through the pre-medical clearance
- December 24 – received my pre-medical clearance
- January 9, 2014 – received an invitation to serve in Moldova
- January 11 – Accepted invitation!
- June 2 – departure date
During this whole process I have had a wonderful crew of people walking along with me… from helping me with my resume, to a friend who is a police officer was able to help with the fingerprinting/legal documents, to the awesome team at the UPS store across from Wegmans help me mail many official documents, to the supportive co-workers from the job I just left, and the many family & friends who have listened to me, cried with me, and laughed along with me through this whole thing. What a journey… I am so grateful. And here it is, just the beginning… and an ending all at the same time.